Pages

Friday 29 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey Week 2 Day 5

29/12/2017
Day 5: Coming to an End
Activity 1: VE Day!
After six long years of fighting, World War II finally came to an end in 1945.
The entire country was ecstatic and parties were thrown all over New Zealand
to celebrate VE Day (Victory in Europe). Imagine that you were living in New Zealand
in 1945 and you had to plan a VE day party at your house. Who would you invite?
What would you do to celebrate?

On your blog, tell us all about your (imaginary) VE party. If it was me,
I would invite all of my closest friends and family over to my house for a big barbecue.
We would eat hamburgers and play basketball in the driveway. Some of us would
probably walk to the local beach to play soccer on the beach and to go for a swim
(if the weather was warm enough)!

My VE Party!
I would invite all my closest family members and we would have a nice roast lunch with
mashed potatoes, a giant ham, vegetables, and gravy. For dessert we would have trifle with
ice cream, chocolate cake, and brownies. When we have all finished enjoying a nice meal
we would go out into the back yard and play cricket! Which is so much fun and is one of my
family’s favorite games to play. To finish off the day we would drive down to the beach and
take a nice cool dip.


Activity 2: Making a Fashion Statement
In the years following World War II, things slowly returned to normal in New Zealand.
Soldiers returned home and settled back into regular life; and national sporting teams,
like the New Zealand cricket team, got back together and started playing matches again.
In the late 1940s, men and women would go to watch these events, men wearing hats
and suits and women wearing dresses, hats, and gloves.
Compare the pictures of common clothing from the late 1940s to what you wear n
ow (i.e. in 2017). Are they similar or are they quite different?
My style is very different because everyone in the 1940’s look like they are dressed
to go to a very special event,on a common day. I usually wear leggings, jeans’ T - shirts.
I usually wear a nice dress if it is a special occasion. The style of dresses and sock and
shoes the girls are wearing in 1940 are similar to what my mum and auntie would wear to
church as young girls. My great grandmother also wore the types of skirts and blazers the
women in the 1940s are wearing, to special events especially to church.

On your blog tell us which of the two styles you prefer and why. The pictures above
were taken over 65 years ago! What do you think people will be wearing 65 years f
from now?
I think that I would much rather prefer the clothing and styles nowadays because
everyone back then looks boring. In 2017 society people have their own styles and
can wear what makes them comfortable. I think it  is cool because everyone is special
in their own way and can express themselves through what they wear.


What do you think people will be wearing 65 years from now?


I think people will be wearing really weird clothing like dresses made out of plastic,
clear pants, high heels, and really weird designed tops.





Bonus Activity: Sweet Tooth

When World War II ended, a number of people from Europe moved to
New Zealand looking for a peaceful place to live and raise a family.
When they came, they brought recipes and foods from their native countries
with them, including hamburgers, pizza and other delicious foods.

I usually have a chocolate chip cookie with my tea. I love biscuits! What is
your favourite sweet treat or dessert? Use google to find a recipe for it.
Type the recipe out on your blog. Make sure you also include a picture.

CHOCOLATE ECLAIRS

100g butter
1 cup of water
1 cup plain flour
3 eggs

To decorate
1 1/2 cups Chelsea Chocolate Icing Sugar
2 Tbsp hot water
Whipped cream

Method
Preheat oven to 200°C bake. Grease two oven trays.

Combine butter and water in saucepan and bring to a rolling boil.
Remove from heat and quickly add flour.

Beat with a wooden spoon until mixture leaves the side of the saucepan.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes then add eggs one at a time, beating well
after each addition until mixture is glossy.

Pipe 7cm strips onto greased oven trays. Bake for 30 minutes or until eclairs are
puffy and golden, then lower heat to 120°C and bake for another 15 minutes. Cool.

Combine Chelsea Chocolate Icing Sugar with enough hot water to form a
spreadable consistency. Fill center of eclairs with whipped cream and top with
chocolate icing.
Image result for chocolate eclairs

Website for recipe - Chocolate eclairs
BONUS POINTS: 10

5 comments:

  1. Hey Katelyn,

    It's great to see that you have been completing more activities. I think your VE party would be very entertaining and filled with fun. I really liked how you listed the foods you would have, they all sound delicious!

    Yum! That Chocolate Eclair looks absolutely delicious. I can't wait to (try) make this at home!
    What other desserts do you enjoy eating or baking?

    Keep it up!
    Aaliyah :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's up Aaliyah,

      I really enjoy eating and making trifle, M&M cookies, bread pudding and afghan cookies!

      Thanks for your comment and support

      Katelyn : )

      Delete
  2. Hi katelyn,
    Nice job on the lay out of your work I like that yummy desert you have in that picture maybe I can try the recipe you got there.

    What Have you backed at home with your own hands?

    Great Job !

    By Akesa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Akesa,

      I have baked/made trifle, M&M cookies, bread pudding and afghan cookies and many more treats!


      Thanks for your comment and support

      Katelyn : )

      Delete
  3. Kia Ora Katelyn,

    Another day's worth of activities completed, well done!

    Activity 1: VE Day.
    Your celebratory day sounds like so much fun. I love the amount of food that is going to be available; what a selection!
    I really like how you've included cricket in there as a game that your family enjoys playing together, and also finishing the day off with a swim at the beach.
    Do you like to do any particular activities in the water, at the beach?

    Activity 2: Making a Fashion Statement.
    I loved your response to this activity. You're right, what they're wearing does look a bit boring. But I suppose that not having coloured photographs doesn't exactly help! I appreciate your mention of people being able to wear whatever made them comfortable in modern society.
    I really liked your response to what you thought people would be wearing in the future, too. I especially liked the mention of plastic dresses. As bizarre as it sounds, you actually might be right. I watched a video about plastic this morning, and how the plastic that we create never goes away, so we need to think of a sustainable way to re-use it. One way would be to incorporate it into our clothing! What do you think?

    Bonus Activity: Sweet Tooth.
    I cannot remember the last time I had a chocolate éclair. This makes me sad because I remember really loving them, especially when my Mum would bake them fresh.
    I like that you've provided us with a recipe. Have you baked them before?

    I look forward to your response,

    Cheers,

    Jordan.

    ReplyDelete