Pages

Thursday 21 December 2017

Summer Learning journey day 4

21/12/2017
Day 4: Hitting a High Note…

Activity 1: The Waiata - A Song in Your Heart
In the past, Māori would often use song as a way of sharing information or communicating emotions.  A waiata is the name given to a traditional Māori song. One of my all-time favourite waiata is Kia Paimarie. What about you?

Use Google to research traditional Māori Waiata. Listen to a number of Waiata and read the lyrics. On your blog tell us which one of the waiata you found you like the most. Why do you like it?

{My favourite waiata - E Te Ariki}
E Te Ariki is my favorite song because I sing it at school, we sing this song in church. I chose this song because it is a song of praise, when we sing this song we sing to worship God. My favourite part of the song to sing is the chorus.

                                 E te Ariki     (wahine / women only)                                    
Whakarongo mai ra     (tane / men only)
Whakarongo mai ra ki a matou

E te Ariki
Titiro mai ra     (tane / men only)
Titiro mai ra ki a matou

Tenei matou
O tamariki
E whakapono
Ana matou
Ki a koe

Aue!     (wahine / women only)
Aue!     (tane / men only)
Aue!     (wahine / women only)
Aue!     (tane / men only)

Te matua te tamaiti
Wairua tapu e


(Repeat)
English Translation
Oh Lord, Listen to us
Oh Lord, Look at us
This is us, Your children, We believe, In You
The Father The Son and the Holy Spirit


Activity 2: Playing Games
Hundreds of years ago, young Māori children were taught to play a number of games, including Poi Rakau, Ki O Rahi, Koruru Taonga and Poi Toa. Read about each of these four games on the Rangatahi tu Rangatira website. Have you played any of them before? Isn’t it cool how the games have been passed down for generations?

Choose one game, and on your blog, tell us the (i) name of the game, (ii) the goal or purpose of the game, and (iii) two rules.

You could try playing some of the games with a friend.

{Koruru Taonga}
I chose this game because I have played it before really enjoyed.

{ Goal }
The goal of the game is to get through all of the levels without making a single mistake and try to beat your opponent/opponents..

{ Rules }
Once you make a mistake during the game for example you don’t catch your sky bone it’s your opponent's turn.

You have to use 5 bones that are similar in size so that the game is fair.

In certain stages you are allowed to do sweeps, sweeps are when you are allowed to sweep the knuckle bones closer together when you throw up your sky bone.




.
Bonus Activity: Musical Festivals – Matatini

In New Zealand, a huge festival is held every two years, called Te Matatini. This performing arts festival celebrates the tikanga (culture or customs) of Māori. Kapa Haka groups from around New Zealand are invited to attend the festival and each group gives a 25-minute performance. The performances are judged and the best teams win prizes.

The gold medal winning team from this year (2017) was Te Kapa Haka o Whāngārā Mai Tawhiti.

Watch these three clips from previous Te Matatini festivals.

On your blog, rank the performances from your favourite (#1) to least favourite (#3) and tell us why you gave them the ranking that you did.


{ My Rankings }

# 1 Te Iti Kahurangi

I put Te Iti Kahurangi first place because I thought that their singing was really good, and they looked like they were putting their soul into the performance.



I put Tamatea Arikinui second place because I was really entertained by the woman dancing with the poi’s, but I thought that the men could have done some other moves instead of the one move they were doing in the back.




# 3 Te Puku o Te Ika

I put Te Puku o Te Ika third place because it wasn’t as exciting and as all the other performances, also the man standing right in the middle of the stage playing the guitar was distracting and most of my attention was on him.



BONUS POINTS: 6

6 comments:

  1. Hey Katelyn,

    I really liked the song you chose because it is a favourite of our school.
    Do you have any other favourite waiatas?

    I also liked the game you chose because I am also familiar with the game, it is quite challenging to grab the stones off the floor while you try and catch the stone in the air.

    Outstanding Work
    Aaliyah :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Aaliyah,

      Nice to see you back, another waita that I enjoy listening to is Mo Maria because we sing it during prayers and it sounds calming.

      Thanks Katelyn :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Katelyn What wonderful work you have done. You Are such and creative writer. What is the most common Waiata you sing a t school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah,

      Nice to see you back again, the most common waiata we sing at school is Mo Maria and E te ariki.

      Katelyn : )

      Delete
  3. Hey Katelyn, this is a beautiful waiata that you have chosen.

    At the school I teach at, we regularly sing this in church.
    It is one of my favourites because it is so simple yet sounds so nice. The children like to sing it too!

    Thanks for also sharing the translation, it is really helpful and interesting to read.

    What are some of your other favourite songs?

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Katelyn,

    This is Jade C from the Summer Learning Journey team!

    I like the game you have chosen because I'm very familiar with the game. I've played knuckle bones with my sister when we were both in primary. I started with the very basic rule and we added more rules to make it hard and harder. My sister was better so I (the loser) had to buy her an ice-cream or lollies.

    I also thought that Te Iti Kahurangi had a lot of oomph in the song. The performers were very enthusiastic and very powerful. They used their facial expressions a lot as well. It was the most interesting performance to watch compared to other two performances.

    All the best,
    Jade C.

    ReplyDelete