Pages

Wednesday 27 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey Week 2 Day 3

27/12/2017
Day 3: The Great Depression (The 1930s)

Unfortunately, the wealth and success of the 1920s did not continue into the 1930s. Instead, the stock market in America crashed on Tuesday 29 October 1929. When this happened, people lost a lot of money and much of the world sunk into a deep, financial depression. The 1930s is often referred to as the ‘Great Depression.’




Activity 1: Dealing with Stress
In New Zealand, many people lost their jobs during this decade. Experts predict that as much as 30% of the population was unemployed. It was a very stressful time for families.

Sadly, many of us still experience stress in our lives to this day. When I feel stressed I try to go for a walk or pop into my local gym for a quick workout. Exercise makes me feel better. What about you?

On your blog, please tell us what you do when you want to relax or de-stress. Do you read a favorite book, watch a favorite television show or talk to someone special?  What are your tips for dealing with stress?

{ How I destress }
* When I am stressed I like to sleep because when I am sleeping all my thoughts disappear.

* I also enjoy coloring when I'm stressed because it feels calming.  

* Lastly I enjoy listening to music, watching videos on YouTube, or movies because they help calm me down and make me happy. 

Activity 2: Offering a Helping Hand
During this period, people struggled to find work both here at home and overseas. It was a really tough time for people living in the Great Plains of the United States because they were hit with a huge drought that lasted for most of the decade. Many crops were damaged and farmers were not able to make enough money to feed their families.

Imagine that you were alive in the 1930s. What could you have done to help these families? On your blog, list three different ways that you could raise funds for families to help them buy food and clothing. Be as creative as you can with your fundraising ideas!

{ Fundraising Ideas }
  • I could host a movie marathon to raise money and I could also sell snacks to make extra money.
  • I make a cake stand and sell my baking.
  • I could have a garage sale to recycle some of my old things.

(BONUS)
  • I could host a game night for everyone to come over and play.
  • I could also offer to babysit or look after pets.


Bonus Activity: Paying it Forward
In the mid-1930s, things began to change for the better in New Zealand. More people were able to find work and receive a steady paycheck. They were still careful, however, with their money and rarely, if ever, bought treats or gifts for one another.

Imagine that you were able to travel back in time to visit a family in the 1930s. What special gifts or treats would you like to bring with you? I would likely bring blocks of Whittaker’s chocolate, bags of Jet Planes and Pineapple Lumps, healthy food snacks, clothing, and games for the children. What about you?


WHAT I WOULD BRING WITH ME 


  • Burger rings
  • Classic salt bluebird chips
  • Nz onion dip
  • The natural party mix  
  • Whittakers chocolate
  • Toffee pops
  • Squiggles ‘
  • Toys for kids
  • Clothes for everyone

BONUS POINTS: 6

4 comments:

  1. Hey Katelyn,

    I just finished reading your thoughts on how to fundraise and I thought all of them were brilliant! My favourite one was making a cake stand since I know you love baking.
    What would you have baked?

    I really liked the idea of bringing clothing for all the kids, I think they would of thought that our fashion was kind of weird but would still be very grateful.
    Do you think they would of liked our fashion? Or think it was weird?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aaliyah,

    For my cake stall I would bake brownies, different flavored cookies, my family's favorite chocolate cake,scones,and Lastly Oreo cupcakes!


    It would have depended on what type of clothing/style the person brought with them but I think I would wear some of the clothing from this day in age but I am sure that I would think most of it was weird.


    Thanks for you comment and support!

    Katelyn : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Katlyn, it's great to read about all the different things you would take back to the people of the 1930's. It sounds like they're going to be spoiled with treats! Yum, NZ onion dip is delicious. A real kiwi favourite.

    I am glad to see that you are also taking clothes for everyone and toys for kids, they will really appreciate that because it will last much longer than the treats.

    I hope you are a handy dentist because those people are going to need a filling or two after eating all that sweet food!

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia Ora Katlyn,

    My name is Jordan and I'm the Kootuitui (Papakura, South Auckland) cluster manager. Alongside Billy, I have the pleasure of commenting on your blog!

    I'm going to be commenting on Activity 1: Dealing with Stress and Activity 2: Offering a Helping Hand.

    Activity 1: Dealing with Stress.
    Thanks for completing this activity; I really respect the ways in which you like to manage with stress. Colouring-in sounds like a very therapeutic way to de-stress. You sound as though you have a nice strong head on your shoulders so well done :)

    When I'm stressed I like to go for a run, it helps me clear my thoughts and also releases some endorphins, which in turn make me happy!
    If you were to see any of your friends feeling stressed, what might you suggest they do to help them de-stress?

    Activity 2: Offering a Helping Hand.
    I love your idea to host a movie marathon; how cool! I would definitely attend and bring many people. Where would you host the movie marathon and what type of movies would you show?

    Keep up the great work, Katlyn.

    Cheers,

    Jordan.

    ReplyDelete