Pages

Wednesday 20 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey day 3

20/12/2017
Day 3: It’s All in the Family

Activity 1: The More, the Merrier? victorian family.jpg
In the 1800s, most families were pretty big. In fact, many parents had an average of seven to nine children.  Imagine that you were a child in the 1800s and you had nine siblings.

On your blog, please tell us how you would feel. Would you enjoy being a member of such a large family? Why or why not?

{ Large Family }
I would enjoy being a member of a large family because there is always someone to spend time with and things are more fun with more people around. Also there is always going to be a helping hand around to help with chores and extra house work, but I still think that it would be a bit crazy sometimes because of all the chaos going around in the house.

Activity 2: Acknowledging Ancestry
All of us are members of a family. Some of us have large families and some of us have very small families. When I have the opportunity to talk about my family and my ancestry I sometimes choose to use a pepeha. It is a very special way of identifying who I am and where I come from. There are many different versions of pepeha but most provide people with information about who you are and where you come from (i.e. your whakapapa). Use the template provided below to prepare your own unique pepeha. If you need help please watch this short movie clip on preparing a pepeha.




My Pepeha
Ko mount wellington te maunga  -  The mountain that I affiliate* to is…
Ko  Tamaki te awa   -    The river that I affiliate to is….
Ko ? - te waka The waka that I affiliate to is…
Ko ?  - tōku tīpuna My founding ancestor is…
Ko  Ngati Niue tōku iwi  -   My tribe is…
Ko ? -  tōku hapu My sub-tribe is…
Ko ? tōku marae -  My marae is…
Ko Niue toku motu ahau - I am from…
Ko Caroline rāua ko Sanny ōku mātua -  My parents are … and …
Ko Katelyn tōku ingoa. - My name is …


Bonus Activity: Fun Family Facts

Everyone’s family is unique. What makes your family special? Choose three people close to you and ask them what their two favorite things to do in summer are.

{ My family's favourite activities to do during summer}

{Sister Nicole}
“ I enjoy tanning on the beach and swimming in the water”
“ I also like enjoying sorbet on the beach and the longer days full of sunshine”

{Brother Dalaney}
“ I enjoy fishing on the rocks around Orakei”
“I really like hanging out with all the family and having fun”

{Mum Caroline}
“ I enjoy relaxing in the sun and shopping”
“ I enjoy the longer days”

Interesting facts about my Family!
{Brother Dalaney}

He is a very good fisherman and a great rugby player.


{Sister Nicole}
She knows how to play guitar and she is a great baker just like me.
She has also graduated from university and has a degree.

{Cousin Beni }
He is a great basketball player and rugby player.

He also has a big collection of toy cars that he collects.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Katelyn
    My name is Sarah and I go to Glen Innes School
    Outstanding work
    What was your favourite part on making this task?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Sarah,

      My favorite activity to do for this day was interviewing my family members, and asking them what there favorite summer activity's were.

      Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog, I will be sure to check out your blog and comment!

      Katelyn : )

      Delete
  2. Hey Katelyn,

    I really liked how you included both sides of what it's like to have a big family, it was very insightful.

    I thought your pepeha was very interesting, I had some gaps in mine one too!
    Do you ever wonder who your founding ancestor was?

    Wow! I really enjoyed reading your family facts, they were very intriguing. I liked how your sister has the same interest as you.

    Keep up the great work!
    Aaliyah :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Aaliyah,

      I do wonder who my founding ancestor is and I hope that one day soon I will find out.

      Thanks for stopping by Katelyn : )

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Katelyn, it's awesome that you are so motivated and have completed three more activities. Keep it up!

    I especially like your bonus activity and the way you have organised the information. It's great how you have used speech marks and actually interviewed your family members.

    It sounds as though your family are very sporty as well as caring and kind. They certainly know how to enjoy the New Zealand summer.

    What answers would you put if you were interviewing yourself?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Billy,

      If I was interviewing myself the answers I would have put for my 2 favorite activities to do during summer, are hanging out with all my cousins and family, and chilling at the beach while enjoy a nice scoop ice cream.

      I think 2 interesting facts about me are that I love doing arts and crafts, and I like swimming!

      Thanks Katelyn : )

      Delete
  5. Greetings Katelyn,

    I really like your explanation why you enjoy being in a large family plus I really enjoy reading your pepeha which was really outstanding but some of your pepeha weren't finished off but I think because how you don't understand it but that alright.I really enjoy reading you fun family facts which was really cool to read.
    Great Job Katelyn can't wait to read more blog post from you.

    Cheers,
    Aletheia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Katelyn,

    Ruby here from the Summer Learning Journey team! It's great to see that you've been working through these activities. Well done!

    Activity 1: You've done some great thinking with this activity! You would never be lonely and there would be lots of people to share the chores around. It would also be very loud and perhaps being with people all the time would drive me a little bit crazy!
    I have 6 people in my family and that's enough for me! How big is your family?

    Activity 2: Well done! You've done a good job with your pepeha. Although there are a few gaps, I still think it's important to know our pepeha because it allows us to acknowledge our ancestors and also understand a little bit about ourselves.

    I look forward to reading more of your blog over the summer.
    Cheers,
    Ruby.

    ReplyDelete