Pages

Tuesday 19 December 2017

Summer learning journey Day 2

19/12/2017
Day 2: It’s All in a Day’s Work

Activity 1: A House or a Home?

In the 1800s, most Māori lived in villages called pa. Each village had many buildings – kauta where people cooked, pataka where they stored goods and wharepuni where the Māori slept. A traditional wharepuni had a thatched roof and walls made of timber, fern, rushes and bark. Look at the picture below of a traditional wharepuni. Does it look like your house?




On your blog, compare the wharepuni to your own home. What are two similarities and two differences between a wharepuni and your house?
{SIMILARITIES}

Both houses are suitable to sleep in.

Both are made of wood and other similar materials

Both have decorated interiors.  





{DIFFERENCES}

The wharepuni has carvings on the outside exterior of maori ancestors, Gods and other characters.

It doesn’t have any windows or glass features.

In a classic home like mine everything is in one building but
a wharepuni is a place you can only sleep.







Activity 2: The Rules of Engagement
During the early years in New Zealand, men and women would often marry at a young age. Women were expected to have babies and remain in the home caring for their children. Few, if any, left home in search of work. Men, on the other hand, were expected to work outside of the home.

These days, we don’t have the same strict expectations about work. Girls and boys can choose their own path in life. In fact, I was lucky enough to go to university and to follow my dream of becoming a teacher!

What is your dream job? Draw a picture of yourself doing your dream job and post it on your blog. You could be a doctor, an actor or even a zookeeper! I have drawn myself taking a picture of a beautiful castle in Poland because I would love to become a travel blogger and photographer one day.
 
My dream job is to be either a lawyer or a baker. I would like to be a lawyer so I can help people and I want to be a professional baker because I love baking and it is one of my favourite hobbies.


Bonus Activity: Special Meals
Back in the 1800s, most Māori ate a simple diet. They ate foods that they could catch in the water (eg. fish) or grow on the land (eg. kumara). They did not have access to a supermarket to buy food for their meals! Speaking of meals, what is your favourite meal? Mine is wood-fired pizza. Yum!

On your blog, post a picture of your favourite meal. Be sure to tell us what it is and why it is your favourite. You could also include the recipe if you have it so that we can all try it!

Image result for mac and cheese
My favorite meal that my mum cooks is Macaroni and cheese! Sorry I don't have a recipe for you all to try it but its a creamy warm cheesy heaven.


BONUS POINTS: 8

15 comments:

  1. Hey Katelyn, you have written an outstanding answer for the first activity of today. I am most impressed with your vocabulary, well done!

    I like how you have examined both the exterior and interior of each building.

    I think the main difference would be that in those times they didn't have electricity/power, so therefore you wouldn't have lots of appliances, TV's etc.

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Billy,

      Thanks for your feed back, I hope you come back to check in on my work in the future

      Katelyn : )

      Delete
  2. Hi again, I have enjoyed reading your post about your dream job. I think it's cool that you would like to help people as a lawyer. I guess you would also be helping people with your wonderful baking too, helping them feel happy after eating delicious food.

    Maybe you could bring baking to your meetings with clients?

    If you brought baking to the courthouse I am sure you would win a lot of cases!

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Mac & Cheese, my favourite!

    That's OK that you don't know the recipe, but could you please tell me the ingredients?

    Maybe you could find a recipe online.

    I also love your description; warm, cheesy heaven. That sounds like a wonderful place to go to!

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Billy,

      I found a recipe and I think this is the one my mum uses but i'm not entirely sure.
      I hope you enjoy it. :)

      http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/easy-stove-top-macaroni-cheese-60350#activity-feed

      Katelyn : )

      Delete
    2. Yum! I will have to try and make that sometime soon! What are some of your other favourite meals to cook, bake or eat?
      Do you have a special Christmas meal?

      Thanks, Billy

      Delete
    3. I like to bake chocolate cake and chocolate chip cookies. We usually have a big BBQ with all my cousins and family.

      Katelyn : )

      Delete
  5. Hey Katelyn,

    I really enjoyed reading the similarities and differences. I also liked that you included that a Wharepuni is a place where you can only sleep.


    Wow! I didn't know you wanted to be a lawyer or a baker, I think both jobs suit you very well.
    What's your favourite thing to bake?

    Yum! That Macaroni and Cheese looks delicious.
    Well, I hope you keep up the great work!

    Aaliyah :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Aaliyah,

      Its nice to see you visiting, not a lot of people know that I want to be a lawyer when I am older.

      My favorite desserts to bake are cookies Chocolate cake, and brownies!.

      Thanks for your support and comment : )

      Katelyn!

      Delete
  6. Hey Katelyn & Aaliyah,

    It's cool how you are both talking about the purposes of each of the homes and examining those differences.

    Your home has lots of purposes; kitchen, bedroom, lounge, bathroom.

    While the wharepuni was just for sleeping.

    So well done, you two are very clever! Keep up the fantastic work.

    Do you think that you could live in a wharepuni these days? While your friends are at home on devices, watching tv, cooking mac & cheese.


    :)

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hey Billy,

      Its nice to see you back again.

      I think that I could stay in a Whaepuni for a couple of days but not any longer, because there won't be anything interesting to do and I don't think I could live with out mac and cheese!

      Thanks for your comment !

      Katelyn :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Katelyn
    My name is Sarah and I go to Glen Innes School

    Keep up the work you are really talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah,

      Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting, I bet your really talented too! So I will be sure to check out your blog.

      Katelyn : )

      Delete