Pages

Monday 18 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey Day 1

\10/12/2017

Day 1: Arriving in New Zealand…
Activity 1: The First Settlers

It is widely believed that the first people to arrive in New Zealand came from Polynesia. Most historians believe that they landed in New Zealand over 700 years ago. Although they were originally from many different countries, these settlers learned to live together and, eventually, formed their own distinct culture known as ‘Māori.’  Māori have their own language, traditions, and culture.

Follow this link to read a short story about a famous man in Māori mythology – Maui. On your blog, post three facts that you learned about this interesting man. What other stories have you heard about Maui?

3 interesting facts about Maui.
  • Maui said a karakia ( A Maori prayer or blessing ) to help him and his brothers catch plenty of fish.
  • Maui was a giving man while his brothers were full of greed and cruelness.
  • Maui’s grandmother Murirangawhenua said that
      one day they would be gifted a very special fish.

I have also read Maui and the sun 

Activity 2: Setting Sail
The first settlers to come to New Zealand must have been really brave! They had to leave their original homes and sail thousands of miles across the ocean on a special boat called a ‘waka’ to reach New Zealand.

Imagine that you were on board one of the wakas. On your blog, write a short letter to a friend telling them about your voyage to New Zealand. In the letter be sure to tell them how you feel about moving to a new country. If it was me, I would have felt really nervous…

Dear Aaliyah,
I am heading to a new land to explore its opportunities for our people,
I am feeling very nervous and excited to see what lies ahead for our future.
Maybe if this new land is a great place you and all our friends and family could come over and we could all live happily together.
I feel so scared right now because this waka is very unsteady and I feel as if I am at the brinks edge of it just about to fall out, so I am sorry if you can't read my hand writing but if you can It would would make me so happy if you wrote back to me.
Take care :) Katelyn  

Bonus Activity: Waka Ama
To this day, the people of New Zealand still use waka. Instead of using their waka to transport them from one place to another, they sometimes use waka in special events and in sporting competitions such as Waka Ama. Both boys and girls compete in Waka Ama boat races.

waka-ama-40461.jpg
Watch this short video of a Waka Ama race. On your blog tell us whether you would like to be in a Waka Ama race one day. Why or why not?

Waka Ama
I don’t think that I would enjoy this sport because from watching the video it looks like you would have to have a lot of energy and upper arm strength. Also it looks very tiring and from my knowledge the training is pretty intense.

BONUS POINTS: 10

9 comments:

  1. Hey there Katelyn, my name is Billy and I am from the Summer Learning Journey programme. I look forward to blogging with you this summer.

    Well done for completing the activities so far! I can see you have done such a great job. I love the three facts you have chosen about Maui.

    Why do you think his brothers were so mean? Do you think they changed after he caught the big fish?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Billy,

      I think Maui's brothers were mean because they just thought Maui was there annoying little brother who didn't know anything.

      I think when Maui caught the big fish it brought out the greediness inside of his brothers and made them worse.

      Thanks for taking the time to comment!

      Katelyn :)

      Delete
  2. Hi again, wow I have really enjoyed reading your letter. It made me truly believe that you were from that time writing a letter home. You have really captured the emotions the travelers would have likely been feeling.

    I would have been so scared and nervous traveling that long distance, not knowing where we were going or if we would make it.

    What do you think they did as soon as they arrived in New Zealand?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there again Billy,

      I bet that they were so nervous when they arrived that they all stayed close together exploring a little bit of New Zealand each day.

      Thanks for commenting :)

      Katelyn :) :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Katelyn, thanks again for completing the bonus activity, and thank you for your honest opinion about Waka Ama.

    I have to agree with you, it would be tiring, take a lot of energy and hard work and commitment to become good at this sport.

    Personally, I would find it a little boring. I much prefer ball sports like soccer and netball. Do you like any other sports?

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Billy,

      I agree with you it does seem a bit boring, some other sports I like are netball and basketball.

      Katelyn :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Katelyn
    My name is Sarah and I go to Glen Innes School
    Fantastic work I love how you have written it. What was your favourite part about this activity?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sarah,

    Nice to see your back again, My favorite activity to do for this day was finding out more really interesting facts about Maui and his brothers.

    Katelyn : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Katelyn,
    I really enjoy reading your three facts about maui which was really amazing plus I also enjoy reading your letter to Aaliyah which was really great plus I also enjoyed that you put a lot of information in your letter which was really outstanding and great.I also enjoyed your reason to if you could go on a waka ama race one day.Great Job Katelyn keep up the good work:)

    Cheers,
    Aletheia

    ReplyDelete