Pages

Wednesday 10 January 2018

Summer Learning Journey Week 4 Day 3

9/1/2018
Day 3: Social Systems


Activity 1: Mixed-Member Proportional (MMP)
In 1996, New Zealand adopted the MMP voting system. In September of 2017
we had a national election. Everyone in New Zealand, over the age of 18,
was invited to vote for who they wanted to form the next government in New Zealand.
The race was really close and in the end, three different political parties (Labour,
New Zealand First and the Green Party), came together to form the new government.
It is called a ‘coalition government’ because it includes different people from different
political parties.


Imagine that you had to form a coalition government with two other people.  
Who would you choose to partner with?

My Coalition
I would choose to partner with my mum because she is kind but when she
needs to she can be very stubborn and she is not afraid to speak up when she doesn't
like something. I would also choose my sister Nicole because she is very smart and funny,
she also makes decisions that always turn out good.




Activity 2: Migration
Over the past few decades, there has been a huge rise in the number of people coming
to New Zealand to live and/or travel. I was one of those people! In fact, I moved with my
family to New Zealand in 2010 and I am so glad that I did. It’s a pretty amazing place to call
home! At the moment I live about 10 minutes from three stunning beaches and a beautiful
national park.


Speaking of home, where do you live? On your blog, please post a picture of your
hometown and provide a list of three things that tourists, like us, could do if we came to visit
. What do you like most about your hometown? (Remember the guidelines for being
Cyber smart, and never post your address online).


My hometown Auckland


Image result for auckland nz

Museum - First I would take you to the museum so you could have the opportunity
to learn about our country in a fun and interactive way, you can even take a visit at night!
When stories come to life that are packed with so much fun for everyone.

Zoo - Next I would take you to the Auckland Zoo so you can see all of our national
animals face to face including our icon the kiwi, tura tura, kekeno, and many more of our
amazing creatures to explore.

Sky Tower Langham - Lastly I would take you to the langham restaurant for a very
delicious fancy buffet dinner to relax and end off a long day.

What I enjoy most about my township.
I really enjoy the people because they are very friendly kind and chill.  
They are very chill and are very easy to talk to and make friends,
we also are ready to jump up and help at any given second for anyone and everyone.


Bonus Activity: Modern Learning Environments
Over the past few years, a number of schools have changed the way that
they teach. Instead of one teacher working in one classroom with one group of students,
some schools have built huge classrooms where many teachers work together to teach a
big group of students. This is called a ‘Modern Learning Environment’ (MLE).
IMG_0725.JPG


Some people prefer Modern Learning Environments while others aren’t so sure
. Take a look at the pictures above. The one on the left is a photograph of a traditional
classroom, and the picture on the right is of a Modern Learning Environment.





Imagine that you are a teacher, and design your own classroom.
What would it look like? What furniture would you have?
I would love to have some beanbags for reading on.


Draw a floorplan of your classroom (either in Google Draw or on paper)
and upload it to your blog. Describe what is special about your classroom
and why you designed it this way.


I’ve drawn a classroom with pink carpet and bright coloured tables.
I also included a kitchen so that we can do cooking every day and a HUGE
bookshelf because I love to read! What would you like to see in your classroom?


I put the tables in the position there in so it makes it easy for them to see the
front of the classroom without moving around during lessons and making a ruckus.
As you can see the teacher's desk is at the back so she can watch
them when they are independently working. There is also a comfy freetime corner
for students to go to when  they have completed all there work properly, to go hangout
and do certain things like go on youtube on there computers or do some free drawing.

BONUS POINTS: 18

5 comments:

  1. Kia ora Katelyn,

    My name is Emiely (pronounced “Emily”) and I work alongside Billy at the Summer Learning Journey!

    Activity 1: What a great coalition between you, your sister and your Mum. Although sometimes it is hard, I think it is really important to speak up about things that don't seem right and to speak up for yourself and other people if you/they are being mistreated! This is an important quality to have and often people like your Mum will be the people who create a positive change in our world. What qualities will you be able to bring to your coalition?

    Activity 2: You sound like you would be an exceptional tour guide, Katelyn! You have chosen three awesome places in Auckland to take the tourists. I'm from Auckland too and I have to say, The Eight and The Langham is amazing. There is so much variety with their food selection. Their food is delicious and above all... You can eat as much as you like!!! Have you been to any of the places you have suggested? What did you like the most about each place?

    Activity 3: You have done a great job using Google Draw! I like the different colours you have used to show the different parts of your ideal classroom. Awesome work, Katelyn! A free time corner would be great. I think bean bags are a great treat to be able to sit and read on. So comfy! Have you got a favourite book or are you reading a book at the moment?

    It's awesome to see how actively you have been blogging this summer. I know the Summer Learning Journey team have enjoyed reading and commenting on your blog. Just a reminder that you can earn bonus points by commenting on other children's Summer Learning Journey blog posts. I'm sure they would appreciate your thoughtful and helpful comments.

    Noho ora mai,

    Emiely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Emiely,

      I will be able to bring different ideas to the coalition and will be able to compromise with others.

      I have been to all the places listed which is the reason why I listed them from my experiences.

      I really enjoyed the fun of learning something new along my journey of visiting all the beautiful animals at the zoo.

      I really enjoyed the aspect of being able to interact with some of the stands while learning at the same time which is so much fun. I really want to experience the Museum at night as I have not had the opportunity yet but I bet it is great fun.


      I also really loved the selection of delicious food of the lang ham restaurant, I loved the sushi and butter chicken stands the best because I love sushi and butter chicken is my one of my favorite foods of all time!

      My favorite place that I would like to take a visitor the most is the langham because I really like my food.

      My favorite book series is the Charlie Bone series I have only read the first and second books and loved them so so much. I am not reading anything at the moment but I hope that I get to read the rest of the Charlie Bone books one day very soon!

      I have taken up your advice and have commented on a couple of blogs!

      Thanks very much for your comment and support!

      Katelyn : )

      Delete
    2. Hey Emiely,

      I just wanted to ask if you are able to see my last day of activity's post?

      Thanks : )

      Delete
    3. Kia ora Katelyn,

      Thank you for your awesome reply! :)

      Being able to compromise is a very important skill, especially if you are a political leader! Is there a particular time where you have had to compromise? I know that I have had to compromise the shower times with my brother. Sometimes we want to shower at the same time, so we compromise - I let him shower first, but only if he has a quick shower!

      It is great that you have been able to experience all these different places. The butter chicken at The Eight is the best! Did you have the naan as well with yours?

      I've never heard of the Charlie Bone series before, but it must be good! What is the series about? Have you read the book called Wonder by R. J. Palacio? It's one of my favourite books and I definitely recommend it if you're looking for something to read these holidays.

      Yes, I can certainly see your latest post. The Maniakalani Summer Learning Journey team are making their way commenting on the different blogs and I bet they will be thrilled to see that you have completed all the activities! Well done, Katelyn! You should be very proud of yourself. :)

      Noho ora mai,

      Emiely :)

      Delete
    4. Hey Emiely,

      I have had to compromise with my brother is well over the TV remote, because sometimes he wants to watch sport when I want to watch cartoons so we make a deal that he gets to watch the TV for as long as he wants while I go on the IPad and play games.

      I did have the naan bread with my butter chicken and it was delicious, my mum liked it more then the actual curry.

      The Charlie Bone series is about a boy named Charlie Bone who one day finds out he is endowed with magic. While looking at a photograph that he gotten mixed up at the shop he starts hearing voices coming from it, he can hear what the people are talking about in the photo. So his grandma and wicked aunts send him off to a special school for kids like him and he learn more and more about his ability's and even more secrets about himself he never even knew he had. I have read Wonder and I really enjoyed it. It is one of my favorite books is well.

      Thank you for your comment and support.

      Katelyn : )

      Delete