Pages

Thursday 4 January 2018

Summer Learning Journey Week 3 Day 4

4/1/2018
Day 4: Perms and Lycra (The 1980’s)

Activity 1: Hairy Maclary
One of the most famous children’s stories to ever come out of New Zealand, Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy, was written by a kiwi woman named Lynley Dodd. The book was originally published in 1983. It is now sold in dozens of countries around the world. It features a small dog named Hairy.

On your blog, use the following sentence starter from the original book to finish the story.

“Out of the gate and off for a walk went Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy…”

To earn full points, your story should have, at least, 8-10 sentences.


My Story
Out of the gate and off for a walk went Hairy Maclary from Donaldson’s Dairy. On his way he saw the town and had a urge to explore. “ There are stores and buildings galore, I wonder what’s through this door. “There are so many animals, look at this cat, its so fluffy and fat It reminds me of a brown teddy bear, from the annual fair” with it’s long brown hair.  What else is there to explore let's go back out this door,
He walked down the street and straight to the park, where he played and giggled with the children in the heat. They played many games that kept hairy maclary very entertained, until the children went home and hairy maclary was all sad and alone. So he kept on walking until he found some shade, under a tree where he met Mr Scot. who forgot to bring his lunch with him to his favorite shady spot. So hairy maclary followed Mr Scot home, where he was given a nice and cool spot to rest. Once hairy maclary was well rested, they ate some lunch and the sun began to set, so he went off on his journey back through the gate to Donaldson's dairy.


Activity 2: The Big ‘OE’

In the 1980s it became increasingly common for students to graduate from high school and take a year off to travel and experience the world. This year was often referred to as the ‘Big OE’ or ‘Big Overseas Experience.’ A number of kiwis headed to places like Australia and England to live and work before returning to New Zealand to finish their studies.


Imagine that you are a student in the 1980s and you’re about to graduate from high school. Where would you like to go on your big OE? On your blog tell us which country you would visit and give us three (3) reasons for your choice. Find some pictures on the internet of things that you would like to see and do in this country.

I’d love to go to Switzerland and spend lots of time in the mountains, learning how to ski!

BELGIUM
  • Pairi Daiza -I would like to go to Belgium because I love animals and they have a park/zoo there called the Pairi Daiza that has many different animals that we don’t have here in New Zealand including pandas, cheetahs, kangaroos, and many more. I would love to have the opportunity to see and learn about these different animals.
Image result for Pairi Daiza belgium zoo

  • Chocolate & Waffles - Waffles and chocolate are some of the most famous foods of Belgium. I would like to try them to see what all the hype and excitement is all about also to see if they are actually as good as people say the are.

Image result for belgium and waffles Image result for belgium and chocolate

  • Image result for St. Michael and St. Gudula Cathedral St.
    St. Michael and St. Gudula Cathedral - This Cathedral is one of the most famous ones in Belgium. I would like to visit it because I am a catholic I think it would be fitting for me to visit a church in Belgium for experience to see how they run there mass and how they think of God.




Bonus Activity: The 4 O’Clock News
jacinda.jpg
In 1982, Te Karere, a Māori-language news show premiered on television. It has continued to stream live on TV to this day. If you would like to watch it, turn on TV One at 3:55 p.m. each weekday and you will see it. The show is often hosted by a man named Scotty Morrison.

Imagine that you were Scotty Morrison and you were able to interview anyone you wanted. I would choose to interview our new prime minister, Jacinda Ardern. I’d love to know what it is like to be the Prime Minister.  What about you? Who would you choose to interview and why? What would you like to find out?

Gaten Matarazzo
I would love to interview Gaten Matarazzo because he plays my favorite character on stranger things. He is also very funny and I would like to know how he feels about being known all around the world and if has always wanted to be an actor.

My Question
How did you feel changing from a normal life to the world knowing who you were and have you always wanted to be on tv .


BONUS POINTS: 10

11 comments:

  1. Hey there Katelyn, thanks for sharing who you would like to interview. It's cool that you like watching Stranger Things, I really like that show too. This kid is awesome in it. He's super funny and it's crazy when he keeps that creature as his pet in season 2.

    Did you like the new girl in season 2?

    Who is your second favourite character?

    What was your favourite season?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Billy,

      If your talking about Kali elevens secret sister I didn't like her because when I was watching the episodes she was in it felt like I was watching a totally different show. Also I didn't like the way she tried to change eleven by trying to make her get revenge on her enemies when she didn't want to and changing her style.


      My second favorite character would have to be Steve, because in the first season he seemed like a bully but through out the seasons he changed and became a good guy that helped fight and keep the kids safe. Also I liked Bob because he was very kind and helped even though he didn't know exactly what was going on.

      My favorite season would have to be season 1 because it was really interesting getting to know the characters backgrounds.

      Who is your favorite character?

      Thanks, Katelyn : )

      Delete
    2. Hey, I was actually meaning the girl with ginger hair, and she has the mean older brother. One of the boys really likes her. I can't remember her name but she seemed pretty cool.

      Steve is a good character. You're right, his character really evolved. He used to be mean, especially when he broke that guy's camera. However, in the second season he was like a kind older brother to your favourite (Gaten).

      I quite like the mum's boyfriend who cracks the code but ends up dying unfortunately. Other than him, I really like the chief. He is funny because he seems to do whatever he wants.

      Thanks!
      Billy

      Delete
    3. Hey, I think your talking about Mad max ( Maxine) I didn't really like her because she was kinda getting in the way when they were trying to look for Will, Lucas Sinclair has a crush on her and they end up dancing at the snowball together. I also think that Mike wheeler was a bit to mean to her.

      The chief is funny and I also liked how he had a connection towards Joices situation also how he became a father figure and took on the responsibility for Eleven.

      Thanks! Katelyn : )

      Delete
    4. That's right, you're very clever with all the names. Yeah I suppose she was just trying to fit in. I felt a bit sorry for her because her older brother was so mean.

      Great stuff, you should write a review of the series - you seem to know lots!

      I really like the intro, the 1980's styled music.

      Do you think that they will make a third season?

      Did you prefer season one or season two?

      Billy

      Delete
  2. Hey Katelyn,
    I don't know much about stranger things because I don't watch it ay, but you've been doing well on your blogging.

    Great Work
    Jerome Happy New Year ✌✌✌✌✌✌✌✌✌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jerome,

      Sorry for the late reply but I just wanted to say thank you for stopping by to support and comment on my work!

      I will be sure to check your blog out!

      Katelyn : )

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Katelyn, I've just read your first activity post where you've finished the Hairy Maclary story. Wow I am genuinely impressed, I love how you've managed to make it rhyme throughout. You've written heaps and used detail to describe the events that occur really well. You should consider writing children's books. Congratulations, fantastic work.

    I hope to read more of your writing soon.

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey Katelyn,
    I have seen your work when I compared my work to your's I was just saying I thought I copied you. If you think that I have copied you I haven't I just looked at your work now.
    Anyways I am just so confused because it looks like I have copied you. OK anyways your work is outstanding can't say anything else but you've done an excellent job.

    Fafetai Lily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lily,

      It does look like you have copied my work because we have the exact same answer and it could not be a coincidence that you accidentally have all the same answers word for word. if you copied I would enjoy it if you would please take the post down and write your own opined answers.

      Katelyn : )

      Delete