Pages

Wednesday 28 December 2016

Summer Learning Journey Day 11 WK.3

12/28/2016
Week 3: It’s time to be entertained!
This week you will learn a great deal about the sports, television shows, movies, music, and people who are famous in your country. It will be a really entertaining week!
Day 11 – He Shoots, She Scores!
After a full week of sightseeing in your new country you are given tickets to attend a local sporting event. Check out the links below to see videos of athletes playing two of the most popular sports in each country.
Canada
Ice hockey - Olympic Gold Medal Game in 2002 between Canada and the United States of America [3:04 minutes]
Canadian football - Grey Cup (Championship) Game 2013 [8:52 minutes]
Chile
Soccer (football) - Highlights of game between Chile and England – 2013 [4:47 minutes]
Chilean rodeo - Example of a traditional Chilean rodeo [2:43 minutes]
Germany
Soccer (football) - Highlights of German women’s football team vs. the United States of America [2:22 minutes]
Motor sport - Footage of German Formula 1 driver, Michael Schumacher’s, the world’s most famous motor sport driver
Malaysia
Field hockey - Footage from Men’s Junior World Cup Game – Malaysia vs South Africa [2:31 minutes]
Badminton - Footage of Lee Chong Wei – the most famous badminton player in Malaysia [18:04 minutes]
United Kingdom
Rugby union - Highlights of Rugby World Cup game between England and Australia, 2015 [3:52 minutes]
Cricket - Highlights of England vs New Zealand match at Edgbaston, 2015 [1.54 minutes]
Mexico
BaseballHighlights of World Baseball Competition Game between Japan and Mexico [4:33 minutes]
Soccer (football) Highlights of soccer game between Mexico and the United States of America [7:06 minutes]
United Arab Emirates
Soccer Highlights of soccer game between the United Arab Emirates and Australia [1:12 minutes]
Camel racingHighlights of camel racing in Abu Dhabi [4:32 minutes]
South Africa
CricketHighlights of semi-final game in World Cup between South Africa and New Zealand [3:20 minutes]
RugbyHighlights of 2016 Rugby Championship game between Australia and South Africa [4:48 minutes]
Japan
Sumo wrestling Sumo wrestling competition in Fukuoka, Japan [6:54 minutes]
Baseball - Highlights of World Baseball Competition Game between Japan and Mexico [4:33 minutes]
Australia
Aussie rules football Grand final game (2015) between Hawthorn and the West Coast Eagles [8:36 minutes]
Rugby league Rugby league test between Australia and New Zealand [1:48:26 minutes]
Now that you know a bit more about the sports that are popular overseas, it is time to think about what is popular in New Zealand. For today, your challenge is to…
Activity 1
Take a picture of yourself participating in a popular New Zealand sport. On your blog tell us the name of the sport and why you have chosen it.
ANSWER
The sport I have chosen is basketball because I think that basketball is fun to play and watch.
Activity 2
Write a short paragraph describing your sporting hero. Who is he/she? Why are they your favourite sportsman?
ANSWER
My sporting superhero is Valerie Adams because she is humble and she inspires me to never give up and keep trying until I accomplish my goal and to try my best even if it is hard.
Bonus Activity
According to the Love New Zealand website, the most popular sports in New Zealand are rugby union, rugby league, netball, soccer and cricket. In your opinion, which of these sports is the best one? On your blog tell us which sport you think is the best. Be sure to tell us why. Give us as many reasons as you can!
ANSWER
I think that rugby union is the best sport because New Zealand has one 2 rugby world cups playing this sport and it is also fun.
Bonus Blog = 6 points

4 comments:

  1. Hi Katelyn,

    I'm so glad that you like the game of basketball! Me too! I played basketball throughout my school years and so did my husband, Ron, and our daughters, Rachel and Leigh. It's a great game - fast moving and lots of skill required.

    I too admire Valerie Adams - she's a very strong and talented woman. It was wonderful to watch her compete at the Rio Olympics! Did you see her on television?

    I'm interested that you enjoy watching Rugby Union - that's a pretty tough game! I always worry that someone will be badly hurt when they're playing that sport, although I know that people do manage to play for years and years, so they can't suffer too many injuries or they wouldn't be able to continue...

    Do you play rugby? When I was visiting my daughter Rachel last fall I went to a local park on a Saturday and there were many children's teams out playing rugby and soccer. They were having a lot of fun! I was really happy to see so many families encouraging children to be active in the outdoors! Such a healthy thing to do!

    Here in Canada it's a very very snowy day today so I'm about to get all dressed up in my heavy, warm clothing to take our dog out for a walk. Spirit is an Australian Shepherd and she just loves cold weather! So off we'll go. But I'll look forward to reading your next postings on your blog!!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel,

      Thank you for commenting on my work and I don't play rugby but my cousins do and I love watching them.

      Happy Holidays

      Katelyn

      Delete
  2. Wow Katelyn,
    Great job you putted on your activities! Incredible effort you put it on the blog!
    Keep blogging katelyn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi lusia,

      Thank you for making time to read my blog and I have seen your blog and you have been putting amazing effort into your work to.

      Katelyn :)

      Delete