Pages

Monday 8 January 2018

Summer Learning Journey Week 4 Day 1

7/1/2018
Day 1: Turn of the Century (2000-2010)

Activity 1:  Celebrating a Win
In 2000, the country of New Zealand celebrated when Russell Coutts and his sailing team won their second straight America’s Cup. This was the first time that a team from New Zealand had won back-to-back championships! Many people celebrated the victory with their friends and family.

On your blog, tell us what you and your family do to celebrate special events, such as birthdays. Do you have a special meal or go to a specific place? In our house, we usually make a pizza and bake a special cake. What about you?


Special celebrations
My family It usually depends on the celebration and what the person wants to do but we usually have a big lunch or dinner at the beach or  home with close family, friends and we play games including cricket, basketball, and swimming.  We usually eat  chinese, or what we feel like on the day, Sometimes we make special meals including Takihi a niuean dish which is made of layered paw paw, taro, and coconut cream, which is my family's favourite especially when my nana made it. Trust me it’s really delicious.



Activity 2: Lord of the Rings
Arguably one of the most famous movie trilogies of all time, The Lord of the Rings, was filmed in New Zealand. All three movies were directed by a New Zealander named Peter Jackson. The first movie was released in 2001, the second in 2002 and the third in 2003. The movies cost an estimated $300 million to produce!  


Imagine that instead of spending the money on the movies, Peter Jackson decided to give all of this money to you. Lucky you! On your blog, tell us what you would do with $300 million dollars. How would you spend it? It is a lot of money so please think carefully about it and spend it wisely :-)

What I would do
Firstly I would  help my family and give them money to thank them for all that they do to support me. I would also give them extra money to put away to treat themselves or save for the future.
I would give all that is left of the money to charities including Starship children's hospital to look after all the children, the Spca to help support and look after all the sick unwell animals and many other charity's.

Bonus Activity: The Rise of the ‘Selfie’
20171103_081651.jpg
Although most of you are quite familiar with the idea of taking a ‘selfie’ (picture of ourselves), this was not always the case. In fact, it wasn’t until the early 2000s that people started talking about the idea of a selfie, taking selfies and posting them online.

In honour of the rise in popularity of the ‘selfie,’ take a selfie and post it on your blog. Try to show us at least one of your hobbies or one your favourite things (maybe a special toy or book). For example, here is a selfie of Hazel drinking a big mug of tea, and Rachel with her son, Aronui, attending a Paw Patrol show!

#SELFIE

My all time favorite thing to do is spend time with family especially my grandpa because he tells interesting and funny stories.  

BONUS POINTS: 8

6 comments:

  1. Hey Katelyn,
    I like the photo that you've posted with your grandpa, you must love to play with your family and cousins.

    Great work
    Jerome;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey again Katelyn, I trust you - that does sound delicious. I love your family's way of celebrating special occasions. Food, sports and good company, what more could you need!

    Going to the beach with family is great in summer time, especially play cricket and basketball too! How would you celebrate in the winter? If it was cold, wet and miserable outside.

    What a generous person you are, giving all that money to charities. They will be so amazed with you and will probably end up building a statue of you to celebrate your incredible generosity. I like how you're also looking after your family too. What sort of treats do you think they will buy for themselves?

    What treat would you buy for yourself? Surely, you have to buy yourself at least one nice thing.

    Thanks, great blogging (as usual)

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Billy,

      When it's cold and windy we usually have a movie day or we drink tea and Milo while telling fun memory's together.

      My family really likes clothing and shoes so they would probably spend most of there money shopping for even more clothes even though they have enough.

      I would treat myself to a new Ipad because my last one broke and a pair of new shoes.


      Thanks Katelyn : )

      Delete
    2. Hey Katelyn, that sounds great too. I quite like spending time with my family when it's cold and raining outside. We play board games, listen to music, enjoy hot soup and hang out. It's nice because we have a fireplace that keeps us warm, the cat loves to snuggle up next to it and sleep for hours and hours.

      That's a good choice. You can do lots on an iPad. It can be helpful with your learning too. I recently bought a Kindle, which is like a tablet for reading. Now I read so much it's amazing. It even has a built in dictionary too, so if you get stuck on a word all you have to do is touch it and it provides an example and a definition. It's very helpful!

      I think with $300 million you could probably buy more than just an iPad. You could get a helicopter, a boat or a flash new car.

      I was thinking you could buy an E-bike. Have you heard about those? They plug into the wall and charge up. Then you use it as a normal bicycle and if you're going up hill it gives you a bit of assistance, making it really easy to get around, especially Auckland with all of it's hills.
      The only thing is you don't get a very good workout because whenever you would usually peddle hard, it kicks in and gives you a boost!

      Billy :)

      Delete
  3. Kia Ora Katelyn,

    I absolutely adore your selfie that you've taken with your grandpa— what a lovely mokopuna you are! Do you often take selfies? I must admit I'm guilty for adding to this popular rise— but I often enjoy taking selfies with animals or in nature.
    Isn't it interesting how we have to justify ourselves on the Internet?
    Anyway, I'm really glad that you chose to take your selfie with your grandpa— it has to be the most selfless selfie I've seen to date.

    I've really enjoyed reading through your posts, Katelyn; you're a smart young lady!

    Don't forget, today is the last day of the programme, so if you have any more activities that you would like to do then I would suggest that you do them before the end of today in order to receive all of the awesome points.

    Cheers,

    Jordan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jordan,

      I am also very guilty of jumping on the selfie band wagon because I love to take photos with friends and family's.


      Thank you so much for your comment and Support!

      Katelyn : )

      Delete